Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Fyodor Dostoyevsky



Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (Фёдор Миха́йлович Достое́вский in Russian) was born on November 11, 1821 in Moscow, Russia. His father was a doctor at a hospital in one of the roughest areas in Moscow and was also known as a terrible alcoholic. Dostoyevsky's mother died from tuberculosis in 1837, followed by his father who died in 1839 of unknown causes, which have been debated.

Dostoyevsky was educated at the St Petersburg Academy of Military Engineering, which prepared him for a military career, where he was made a lieutenant. All during this time he had been writing, and was identified as being part of the "Petrashevsky Circle," which was a group of underground intellectuals who were persecuted by the Czar Nicholas I. On November 16, 1849, Dostoyevsky received the death sentence after having been in prison for several months. Instead of being killed, he was put through a "mock execution" and then exiled to Siberia in 1854.
After having spent several years in Siberia, Dostoyevsky moved back to St Petersburg, where he continued writing his books. He was known as one of the founders and main authors of the existentialism movement.
He died February 9, 1881 after having a seizure, in which his lung hemorrhaged, killing him. He was buried in St Petersburg. The inscription on his tomb reads, "Verily, Verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit," which can be found in his last book, The Brothers Karamazov.



















^Dostoyevsky's tomb at the Alexander Nevsky Monastery

Links:

Here is a link to Fyodor Dostoyevsky's short story- A Christmas Tree and a Wedding http://www.classicreader.com/book/2169/1/


Here's a link to a YOUTUBE video about Fyodor Dostoyevsky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02cgTrndO_k&feature=PlayList&p=1A526031386C5A86&index=0&playnext=1



16 comments:

  1. I think that the short story is interesting. I think that it might represent his life, in a way, because it was about bad things that happen to people. I believe that he was the red-haired boy, because he had a hard life just like Dostroyevsky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I clicked on one of the links and thought the one about Dostoyevsky's Memorial Museum was interesting. I thought it was cool that his apartment that he lived in was turned into a museum!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i thought the quote on his grave was interesting because it reflected his life. He was not liked by the government and many people when he was alive but then he died and his writings have greatly influenced Russian literature ("fruit").

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think the short stories show how Dostoyevsky lived his life. It was very interesting that he had his own museum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He had a very intresting life. The part about the "fake" killing of him was crazyyy!!! I thought the youtube video was really intresting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its so sad that he was put into a mock execution! But at least he wasn't killed so he could keep writing when he moved back to Saint Petersburg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dostoyevsky's life was sad, but at least after his mock execution and being exciled to siberia he got to move back home and keep on writing. I though the story "A Christmas Tree and a Wedding" was kind of creepy that the old guy married a girl that was sixteen, just for her money, poor girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the other writers, Dostoyevsky's live was very sad. His fake killing was crazy and weird. The youtube video was very interesting and informative. I also liked the short story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. His life was kind of scary! His fake killing was so weird. The short story was very good but I still can't get over the fake killing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dostoyevsky had a miserable life. I think his short stories describe his life in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the short story was really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i thought it was interesting he was in the military and wrote all during that time.

    -CAROLINE HUNT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dostoyevsky's life was very interesting. I thought that is was very cool that he was a lieutenant in the military. His short story was also very enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://babusyed.blogspot.com/2008/10/mid-life-crisis.html

    fyodor's vision about life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think its really cool that he had a mock execution!

    ReplyDelete